Monday, July 14, 2008

Lismore Co. Waterford:fire at a disused recycling plant may have serious health implications

Residents from 20 houses at the Mills in Lismore Co. Waterford were evacuated as a precautionary measure when fire broke out around 11pm last night at the disused Sam Shire recycling plant.The building was totally destroyed. Many more families were ordered to keep windows and doors shut as fire-fighters from West Waterford and East Cork tackled the blaze at an asbestos-roofed building. Toxic fumes were emitted as the asbestos roof collapsed into the fire and as plastic was burned. The plant has been left derelict for the past three years. c 4,000 tonnes of rubbish had been left in the building. Grave concern has been expressed at the health implications, as asbestos fibres are carcinogenic.

No comments: