The latest Gallup poll has found that 47% of Americans supported a “pro-life” view while 45% supported a “pro-abortion” view. 8% replied that they did not know. This was also the exact same spread for 18-29 year-old respondents.
The pro-aborts are gradually losing ground for a number of reasons:
- The Catholic Church and Evangelical churches have mounted highly effective campaigns against abortion. Demonstrations outside abortion clinics are sapping the will of the pro-aborts
- Scientific advances have exposed the barbarity of abortion.
- The internet has become a powerful tool in the armoury of the Pro-Life groups. Youtube videos such as the 4D Ultrasound Sonogram, Baby in Womb video have demolished arguments for abortion.
In addition the increasing number of pro-life websites has further buttressed the pro-life position.
- There is now a multiplicity of pro life groups in the US. Groups such as the SBA List (Susan B Anthony List), Human Life International, Priests for Life, Live Action, Students for Life amongst others have become hugely influential in the battle to roll back the abortion tide. Members of Live Action have caught Planned Parenthood workers on tape giving fabricated medical information
- There have now been six coordinated 40 Days for Life campaigns since 2007.These efforts have mobilized people of faith and conscience in 307 cities across all 50 of the United States. More than 350,000 have joined together in an historic display of unity to pray and fast for an end to abortion. More than 11,500 church congregations have participated in the 40 Days for Life campaigns.
- Pro-Life groups are highly active at university level.
- Most professions have active pro-life wings.
Thus there has been a huge groundswell of opinion against abortion at ground level. The strongly pro-abortion Democratic Party and much of the media confront these grassroots groups. Pro-abortion groups have poured huge sums of money into the Democratic Party. The tide is slowly turning in favour of the pro-life position. This is particularly noticeable amongst the 18-29 year olds. Live Action and Students for Life amongst others have been highly effective in promoting the pro- life message in the universities and colleges.