Today while flicking the channels I happened upon the Jimmy Swaggart Channel(SBN). It featured an ex Catholic having a right go at the Catholic religion. He seemed to be speaking as if he thought himself infallible. I forwarded an email-the text of which appears below. Needless to say it was not read out. Just one Catholic phone caller appeared on the show to valiantly defend the Catholic position on the Virgin Mary. However a succession of allegedly ex Catholics appeared. Catholics need to remember that can get the FULL TRUTH at EWTN or other Catholic networks such as Catholic TV Network or Salt and Light. These Catholic Channels give the FULL TRUTH not SBN. I am basically sick of so called Born Again Christians attacking Catholicism. They are disseminating their doctrinal errors throughout the world.
Text of email re Catholicism- to SBN:
- Catholics do not worship the Blessed Virgin. They honour Mary as the Mother of Jesus. They ask Mary to intercede with God for them. Similarly they ask saints to intercede with God for them. Catholics do not worship statues.
- The Rosary: Read Our Lady's 15 Promises for Praying the Rosary
- Re Born Again: It is much too easy to say you are born again. Born again Christians have a nice simple formula. You just cannot go along and tell people that they are saved. All mortal sin must be confessed to a priest: The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.” (John 20:20-23). Hence Catholic Confession. It is not sufficient to just say to God I am sorry. You must confess all mortal sins. The minute you commit a mortal sin of course you say sorry to God. But that is not sufficient. You must then confess the sin in Confession as soon as possible.
- Re the Eucharist: I suggest that you read with an open mind Eucharistic Miracles
- The Catholic Church was the Church founded by Jesus Christ: “ Thou art Peter and upon this rock I build MY Church and I give to thee the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven” . The Pope is the direct descendant of St. Peter. There is an unbroken line of Popes from St. Peter. The Catholic Church has the Apostolic Succession. The bishops are the successors of the Apostles in an unbroken line. Ipso facto the Catholic Church is the true church.
- Re Blessed Virgin: Study the Apparitions at Fatima and Lourdes.
- Re Protestantism: There are a several thousand versions. Which one do you claim is the true one? No two Protestants that I discuss religion with have the same beliefs. This can't be right.
- To claim that anybody is saved is the sin of presumption- a fatal flaw in born again Christianity. God judges us on our death. God decides whether we are saved or not. If we die in the state of mortal sin we are damned.
- Re Martin Luther : Luther said in Letter 501 to Melanchthon: "Pecca fortiter, sed crede fortius." "Sin boldly (or bravely) but believe still more boldly (or bravely)." That’s Martin Luther for you.