Thursday, June 5, 2008

GAA:Justin McCarthy steps down as Waterford Senior Hurling manager

Today sadly Justin McCarthy resigned as Waterford Senior Hurling Manager on the basis that he had lost the support of some of the players. Tonight the County Board accepted his resignation. Selectors Seamie Hannon, Michael Ryan and Nicky Cashin have resigned also. The Board has now set in train the process to find a new manager.

Justin's seven years as Manager have been quite successful. In this period Waterford has won three Munster Senior Hurling titles and one National League title. As a hurling purist McCarthy greatly improved the players' skill levels. Waterford confronted and defeated teams such as Cork and Tipperary in some of the greatest hurling games that I have ever seen. McCarthy instilled a will and determination to win. This had been missing heretofore. Waterford players no longer suffered from an inferiority complex.

It was no secret that all was not well in the camp for some time and that some players were unhappy with the manager. The have finally got their way. Can they now deliver the exclusive All Ireland? One thing is certain. This is an appalling mess in the middle of the hurling season.

There is speculation as to the likely replacement. Names such as Eddie O'Connor, Donal O'Grady, Tom Ryan and Nicky Cashin have been mentioned. It is probably best if a manager is chosen from outside the county. Such a manager can take hard decisions and keep inter club rivalry at bay.

Statement by Justin McCarthy:

"Today I informed the Chairman of Waterford County Board that I intend to step down as manager of the Waterford Senior Hurling team. I made the decision as I feel I no longer have the full support of all the players on the team. I would like to thank the County Board for their co-operation, and for the support they have always given me, and I wish the players and the new management team every success in the future. I also want to thank the selectors and backroom team, and the great loyal supporters who have followed Waterford through thick and thin. Over the last seven years Waterford has enjoyed unprecedented success on the hurling field and I am privileged to have been involved with such a great team. I regret that my decision to step down has come in the middle of the championship season, however I feel it is the best course of action for everybody involved. I will be making no further comment at this time."

End of Statement


No comments: